What better way to have a true local experience than eating in Petra in a local home, sitting down and enjoying Jordanian food with the family. Receiving guests brings great honour in the Jordanian culture and you will experience the genuine warmth and welcome that your host bestows on you. Eating in Petra with a local family will allow you to taste the love and pride that Jordanian food is cooked with, not only filling your stomachs but also your hearts.
Your local English speaking host will meet you at your accommodation, or arranged meeting point, and accompany you to the location of your eating in Petra experience.
On arrival you will meet your host family and enjoy eating in Petra with them.
You will sit down with the family and eat until you think you are full. Only your host will insist that you eat more! When eating in Petra, ‘Al-ḥamdu lillāh’ is a phrase you will want to remember, as saying this when your host is insisting you eat yet another serving will save your very satisfied stomach. You will be met with the response of ‘Sahtein’ (to your health) from your host.
Eating in Petra is not complete without a cup of local tea, this will be served to finish off the experience. Your local host will then arrange for you to go back to your accommodation.
Eating in Petra – Local Cuisine Experience takes approximately 1-2 hours.
When eating in Petra with us you may choose from the following Jordanian food choices:
Maglooba: Literally translating to mean “Upside Down” this delicious dish is made with layers of Chicken, vegetables and rice in a saucepan. To serve the saucepan is turned upside down so that the chicken is now on top and the rice on the bottom. No one can refuse a second helping! (Can be made with no chicken upon request).
Seneyah: A favourite home-cooked meal of marinated chicken and vegetables that is cooked in the oven .
Mansaf: No trip to Jordan is complete without trying the national Dish of mansaf. Chicken is cooked in a sauce made from reconstituted dried yoghurt and served with boiled rice and shrak bread.
*There is a surcharge if you would like to make Mansaf using lamb. Please enquire when booking. For vegetarians we can offer an alternate dish using the yoghurt sauce.
Don’t forget to ask us about the opportunity to finish off your Jordanian food with desserts made by local women.
Included in your Eco Experience:
- Eating in Petra, lunch or dinner freshly prepared by a local family inside the home of a local family.
- A local English speaking host who will translate and assist during your eating in Petra experience.
- Ingredients for the meal that you will eat.
- Consumption of the meal, including Jordanian tea and 1 soft drink per person
- Drinking Water (filtered drinking water will be provided)
- Organization/ booking fee.
Not included in your experience:
- Other meals and drinks not mentioned above.
- Transfers to/from the location of your eating in Petra experience, to/from an agreed meeting point in Wadi Musa.
- Personal expenses.
- Local desserts (please contact us if you would like to include this option)