Warm weather heralds the start of BBQ season and on weekends local families pack up everything bar the kitchen sink and head out into the countryside. There is nothing quite like enjoying eating in Petra outdoors, in the magnificent surrounds of Little Petra or similar locations. A part of Jordanian culture not to be missed. Soak up the friendly atmosphere, delight in the aromas of the meal cooking over the open fire and see the local families relax and enjoy their time together when eating in Petra in the great outdoors.
Your local English speaking host will meet you at your accommodation, or arranged meeting point, and accompany you to the location of your eating in Petra experience.
On arrival you will meet your host family. Chat and learn about Jordanian culture while your meal is cooking. Enjoy being outdoors and explore on foot the surrounding area.
You will sit down with the family and eat until you think you are full. Only while eating in Petra, they insist that you eat more! Al-ḥamdu lillāh is a phrase you will want to remember. As saying this when your host is insisting you eat yet another serving will save your very satisfied stomach. You will be met with the response of Sahtein (to you health) from your host.
Jordanian tea can’t be missed out on when eating in Petra and it will be served to finish off the experience. Your local host will then arrange for you to go back to your accommodation.
This eating in Petra eco experience in the great outdoors takes approximately 2 hours.
Please note: This eating in Petra eco experience can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner, and is only available in the warmer months from March to October and subject to weather conditions. This eating in Petra eco experience is not available during the month of Ramadan. Lunchtime in Jordan when families eat outdoors is approximately 2:00pm.
You may choose from the following meal choices:
Jordanian BBQ: Spiced chicken cooked over open coals. Served with baked potatoes, onions and tomatoes.
Tannikah: Spiced Chicken, potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes and deliciously flavoured rice slow cooked over coals in an enclosed drum.
Seneyah: A dish of marinated chicken and vegetables that is cooked in an enclosed tray which is set in a bed of coals.
Please ask about vegetarian options when booking.
Don’t forget to ask us about the opportunity to finish off your meal with desserts made by local women.
Included in your Eco Experience:
- An eating in Petra outdoors eco experience, lunch or dinner freshly prepared by a local family outside in the surrounding area of Petra
- A local English speaking host who will translate and assist during your eating in Petra eco experience.
- Ingredients for the meal that you will eat.
- Consumption of the meal, including Jordanian tea and 1 soft drink per person
- Drinking Water (filtered drinking water will be provided)
- Organization/ booking fee.
Not included in your Eco Experience:
- Other meals and drinks not mentioned above.
- Transfers to/from your the location of your eating in Petra eco experience, to/from an agreed meeting point in Wadi Musa.
- Personal expenses.
- Local desserts (please contact us if you would like to include this option)