Experience a beautiful part of Jordanian culture. Come spend time with a shepherd tending to their flock. It’s a chance to experience a part of Jordanian culture that hasn’t changed in centuries. A time to marvel in the beauty of traditions and customs passed on through the ages.
In the hills around Petra and Wadi Musa, shepherds head off at first light, with the flock falling into line, each with their place. They move to the steady, melodic clanging of the bells of the donkey and lead sheep. Along with the bleating of the sheep and gentle guttural “Hey, Hey” of the shepherd it creates a “symphony of the hills”. A heritage of Jordanian culture you don’t want to miss out on.
Your local English speaking host will meet you at a designated meeting point. You will be transported in a 4×4 vehicle to the location of the flock. Here you will meet the shepherd.
The shepherd and your host will introduce you to the beauty of Jordanian culture. By demonstrating how the sheep move to the clanging of the bells and for younger members of the experience they might like to have a turn riding the donkey.
Watch the shepherd expertly milk a few sheep. The fresh milk will be heated over a fire, and with plenty of sugar added, you get the opportunity to taste this sweet drink. In the Jordanian culture a pot of Jordanian tea can’t be missed, and will also be freshly brewed if the milk isn’t quite to your taste.
Enjoy the tranquility of the surrounds before being transported back to your accommodation.
This eco experience, that gives you a great taste of Jordanian culture, will last approximately 1-2 hours.
If you participate in this experience in the morning, ask about adding a picnic style lunch to enjoy in the great outdoors.
Included in your eco experience:
- A taste of Jordanian culture by a traditional shepherd experience in the hills surrounding Petra.
- Transport in a 4×4 vehicle to the location of the flock to experience Jordanian culture.
- A local English speaking host who will introduce you to the Jordanian culture by translating and assisting during the experience.
- Jordanian Tea, fresh milk and fruit during the experience.
- Drinking Water (filtered drinking water will be provided)
- Organization/ booking fee.
Not included in your eco experience:
- Other meals and drinks not mentioned above.
- Personal expenses.
- Picnic Style Lunch (please contact us if you would like to include this option)