Baking bread in Jordan is an integral part of Jordanian life. No meal is considered complete without bread. The fresh smell when baking bread in Jordan is one that stimulates the senses. Join the locals in Petra and let them show you traditional breads with techniques that have been passed down the generations.
From baking taboon in clay ovens that have been in use for hundreds of years, to watching the skillfulness of shrak being stretched and thrown over skillets that have been seasoned with fires too numerous to count. We can guarantee that the experience of baking bread in Jordan will be one that you never forget.
Your host will meet you at a designated meeting point in Wadi Musa, you will be transferred to the location where you will experience baking bread in Jordan.
On arrival you will meet your Chef for the baking bread in Jordan experience and you will be served Jordanian tea. Then it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get ready to make bread.
After you have tried your hand at the art of baking bread in Jordan, you will get a chance to eat the product of your labour. Sitting down with your host, the Chef, and any of the Chef’s family members that are around, you will be served a traditional meal of Galayah Bandoora. Now it’s time for you to learn how to eat like the locals. You will be shown how to tear the bread you have made, and use it to scoop up the Galayah. Other traditional sides such as labeneh, zait and zaatar will accompany the Galayah and the freshly made bread. More tea will be served.
Your host will then arrange for you to go back to your accommodation.
The whole baking bread in Jordan eco experience takes around 2-3 hours.
Please note: Taboon bread is made early in the morning at sunrise and only available from April to end of September and the meal you share will be breakfast. Shrak can be made the whole year around, and either in the morning for a lunchtime meal, or the afternoon for an evening meal .
Ask us too about the opportunity to finish off your meal with desserts made by local women.
Included in your Eco Experience:
- Jordanian tea on arrival and with the meal
- A traditional baking bread in Jordan eco experience taught by a local woman.
- A local English speaking host who will translate and assist during your baking bread in Jordan eco experience.
- Ingredients for the bread and the meal.
- A simple meal of Galayah Bandoora (a traditional dish of tomatoes and onions) with the host family. Suitable for vegetarians.
- Extra bread to take away with you.
- Drinking Water (filtered drinking water will be provided)
- Organization/ booking fee.
Not included in your Eco Experience:
- Other meals and drinks not mentioned above.
- Transfers to/from your baking bread in Jordan location, to/from an agreed meeting point in Wadi Musa.
- Personal expenses.
- Local desserts (please contact us if you would like to include this option)